Sunday, February 21, 2010

We took a vacation to visit the Domican Republic.  The DR shares the same rock as Haiti.  One island, about cut in 1/2.  The above picture, I took at random from the beach at our resort.  This was my first time staying at one of those "all inclusive" jobs that I've heard so much about over the years.  So, at the outset here, I'd have to give it a thumbs down overall, for me.  I had the sense of being "stuck" in one area, and not being able to really leave and go explore around.  For one thing, it's very dangerous.  It is NOT a good idea to leave the resort grounds period.  They have quite the security trying to keep the needy from entering.  They even had armed guards down at the end of the property line on the beach.

The weather was HOT.  I think this is the hottest outside temperatures that I have ever felt.  Intense for sure.  You either had to have the shade of a palm, or be in the water.  The water itself is about 85 deg F, or has to be near, so it's very easy to spend too much time out in it and burn like a lobster, which I did.  We hired a catamaran for the whole day, and cruised out to a few different islands for swimming and fun.  They have a different approach to "refreshments" upon these boats.  There motto is :"Save the water, drink the rum", and they mean it as they pass the bottles around.  Morgan sure loved riding the water while laying out on the net.


As far as beaches go, the weather, the resort staff, it is worth a trip.  We have done it, but have no plans on returning back.  Where I find my most enjoyment in travelling, is mixing it up with the locals.  I like to get into their culture and feel absolutely safe while doing it.  This is why I keep returning to Thailand.  Just feels like home away from home anymore..........maybe one day it will be  :-)

After flying into the Dominican Republic, we landed at Santo Domingo.  From there, we took a 2+hour bus ride along the countryside to our resort and destination.  I found the countryside to be alarming.  I had the feeling of destitution and hopelessness, looking around at the lives these locals find themselves living in.  And these folks have it good compared with their neighbors to the West, Haiti.  However, then you drive down the private drive to the resort.  These are way away from the local fare, people and community.  Like I said before, you wouldn't to venture out anyways.  We had a couple two weeks, had a blast and left our mark.  So many places, so little time...............

No comments:

Post a Comment